Sunday, April 20, 2014

Upper Natural Bridge Trail & New Malones Lake- Calaveras County, California

One of the more remarkable, simple trails I have had the chance to be on. It's a fairly easy hike, only about 2 miles round trip and descending about 300 feet into the canyon. Just remember that when descending there is always an ascent. ;) Be aware that there is only one bathroom and it is located right across from the top of the trailhead. There is no real parking area so just park off to the side of the road. It is FREE!
Not too many people on this trail. We were pretty much by ourselves with only one fellow hiker going down as we were coming up. 

Trailhead address is : Parrots Ferry Road & Airola Road, Vallecito, CA 95222
Trailhead coordinates: 38.052011,-120.471381


At the top of the trail! Going down!


Some of the rocky terrain on the descent.


This spot was cool. The rocks to my right had a cat slide from the top to the bottom. I followed the bottom of the slide and found bobcat tracks that crossed over the trail and went on down the hill towards the river.


 Dean and I doing what we do! I love his cheshire grin!


An old lava river!


Here is the mouth of the cave, on top is the natural bridge. When on top it doesn't seem like much so make sure you make it to the bottom where the river is!







Some pictures of the limestone cave aka Upper natural Bridge! I wish the pictures came out better but it was an overcast day. :(


 Going in? Maybe...Ummm, no thanks, I feel perfect, right here.



The river area feeding the cave system. 


On the way out of the Natural Bridge area, we came across New Malones Lake. Beautiful lake. It looks a little low due to the drought but still a nice place to eat lunch. I also found a deer jawbone in this area to give to my daughter. She was thrilled to receive it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment