Wednesday, September 11, 2013

12 Years Ago, Today...9/11 Stories





Today I find myself pondering. It is really the first time that I have shown no anger on this day 9/11. A day famous in our history in the United States! And still to this day, some in the Middle East, choose today, to cause more bloodshed as a constant reminder to what happened, 12 years ago!

To commemorate this day, I sit in silent repose, asking myself, where was I when I heard the first plane hit and what were my thoughts? Then I ask myself, where was I when the second plane hit and what were my thoughts? Then it dawns on me, that yes, I have an answer to those questions, in fact in such detail that I realize we all have our 9/11 story! I may not have been there but I have a story all my own.

I can tell you that 9/11, 12 years ago, I awoke like any other day, to a cup of coffee and some internet news. As I was sipping my coffee, I kept reading that a plane hit a tower at the World Trade Center. My first thought was, "OMG! It has to be an accident!" I couldn't fathom what I was to hear next.

I finished my coffee and got my daughter up for school. Once dressed, breakfast done my daughter's friend, DeAnte, come over to get a ride to school. Yes, I was that Mom. What I did for mine, I also did for others.

We are in the car on our way to school. Traveling like any other day. I am singing with the radio and DeAnte and my daughter, Danae are knee deep in conversation. My program was interrupted with the news that a second plane hit the twin tower at the World Trade Center. This is when I knew immediately this was no accident. The United States was under attack.

I remember in that moment. I looked to the rear view mirror to view my daughter and her friend. They were still conversing. They didn't really get what was going on around them on this day. Looking through the mirror, I caught my daughter's gaze. She saw the look on my face and it was silent in the car. I turned around and told them both, that their whole world was about to change. I, of course, was laughed at, because being children, I am just a parent over reacting to a certain set of circumstances. I get it! I understand how they must feel. Their world is so safe in the United States that their brain can not even see the circumstances around them. Today will be like all others for them. They still feel safe and secure.

I didn't know what to do. I was dreaming up so many scenerio's and was completely terrified. I decided to trudge on. Make it like every other day. I dropped the kids of at school. Told them I loved them and went onto work.

Once at work, I couldn't shut off the T.V. It was a very surreal experience. The playing, over and over, of the planes hitting the towers, people running for their lives, the fear played on. And then, the first tower fell. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I willed myself to keep working. I wanted to shut the T.V. off but couldn't bring myself to do it. I watched this horror over and over. Then the second tower fell. That's when it hit. I need to go get my daughter and I need to do it now. The panic inside me was overwhelming but somehow I was able to finish work and then go get my daughter from school.

It was a somber day but I noticed something different in our people. People were standing out on the streets waving their American Flags and waving! I couldn't help smiling and waving and honking back. My neighbors, whom I had never talked to, were all of a sudden wanting to share their stories, their fear and their connection to something other than what they had just layed witness to. It was beautiful! For a short while, the United States turned into a place that I could only dream about!

My 9/11 story in a nutshell.

As for Patriot's Day, it's about time they made it into an actual holiday. I remember signing a petition to make this happen. Our first responders deserve more than what our government has given them. I know it is a small consolation for what they all had done on that horrifying day but it's a start.

I just want to thank all the first responders and their families. Your bravery is to be commemorated and honored! Bless you for all you did on that day and truly, all days that you are the first on the scene. It is a front line battle most refuse to face. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment